Welcome to Year 1 – Y1GWB
The children have settled really well into Year 1. They are beginning to get familiar with the new routines and expectations. We have been learning about a growth mind set to help us become the best learners possible!
Some information for you to know:
Literacy – this term we will be writing facts about the rainforest linked to BLP week. We will also be writing stories all about Jack and the Beanstalk linked to our curriculum question “ What happened once upon a time?”
- We are sorting objects using different criteria.
- We are becoming secure in our number knowledge to 10- ordering counting forwards and backwards from any number.
- We are learning the skills of 1 more and 1 less.
- We will be learning our number bonds to 10.
- Using our skills in a variety of different ways and solving problems.
Curriculum – What Happened Once Upon a Time?
- We will go on a trip to Bolsover castle to make all of our learning real and relevant.
- We will be learning about castles in detail and looking back at the medieval time.
- We will be using our art skills to create some castles and learning about different art techniques.
- In science we will be learning about the different seasons.
In regards to our timetable, we have PE on Monday afternoons and Friday mornings, so please remember to bring your PE kit.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything, please do not hesitate to see me before or after school. If this is not possible you can also ring the school office.
Monday/Friday – P.E Kit needs to be in school.
Friday – Reading and spellings will be sent home. Spelling test will also take place on this day.
Latest Class News
Executive Head Teacher and all round fossil expert, Mrs Bridges, visited Year 6 this morning to give a fascinating talk all about fossils and show us her collection from her many fossil hunting holidays on the beaches of Whitby in particular Saltwick Nab beach which...
A huge congratulations to Lucy who has been named her sections Cub Scout of the Year 2019 out of around 40 children. Lucy has shown incredible scout skills (not just at scouts but at Thornbridge too) - including spending time away from home at camp, being brave...
On Wednesday 27th November 32 ambitious Year 6 pupils went on their own epic adventure to Thornbridge in Derbyshire. The adventure began with a with a walk on the Monsal Trail. The children then split into their 3 groups with each group taking part in a different...