Welcome to Year 1 – Y1BB
The children have settled really well into Year 1. They are beginning to get familiar with the new routines and expectations. We have been learning about a growth mind set to help us become the best learners possible!
Some information for you to know:
This term we will be writing facts about Africa linked to our curriculum question “What do you know about Africa?”
- We will practice what we want to write orally before writing it.
- We will be sequencing sentences from a short narrative.
- We will compose sentences orally before writing them.
- We will discuss what we have written with teachers and other pupils.
- We are sorting objects using different criteria.
- We are becoming secure in our number knowledge to 10- ordering counting forwards and backwards from any number.
- We are learning the skills of 1 more and 1 less.
- We will be learning our number bonds to 10.
- We will be using Google Maps to visualise a trip to Africa to make all of our learning real and relevant.
- We will be learning about Africa in detail and looking climate and temperature.
- We will be using our art skills to create some castles and learning about different art techniques.
- In science we will be learning about the different seasons.
In regards to our timetable, we have PE on Thursday afternoons so please remember to bring your PE kit / trainers if school shoes are not appropriate.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything, please do not hesitate to see me before or after school. If this is not possible you can also ring the school office.
Thursday– P.E Kit / Change of shoes needs to be in school.
Monday –Children will take a reading book home on Monday. To be returned on Thursday.
Friday – Spelling tests will be on Fridays. New spellings will also be given out on this day.